Junior Controller – FinTech Projects
Do you like to work for a fast-growing and dynamic organization? Are you passionate about working on strategic FinTech projects to foster growth and excellent customer experience? Do you like to work with people?
As a Junior Controller working on FinTech Projects you will join our Global Accounting Team in our office in Amsterdam. You will be representing accounting in the design, implementation and launching of new business initiatives where Booking.com is involved in the funds flow between customers and our partners. You will help lead the FinTech accounting team, overseeing approximately 10+ FTEs. You will report to the Controller and work closely with other departments.
Strong communication and people leadership skills are essential, as is adaptability and capability to lead and drive change. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and challenge yourself to take on additional projects and responsibilities as they present themselves.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Business partner with stakeholders across the organization to launch new products. Examples of initiatives include projects that create new sources of revenue and/or add greater value and flexibility to our customers and partners.
- Support the team to design, implement and test new business initiatives. Provide and communicate to our stakeholders the required financial reporting and process requirements to ensure completeness & accuracy of accounts is maintained for new initiatives.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to onboard and scale Payments Service Providers (PSPs).
- Work closely with Business Intelligence and Data teams to design, implement and test reporting for new initaitves to be used in the monthly closing process.
- Drive standardization and creation of global processes, automation and simplification of tasks.
- Identify, initiate, prioritize and follow-up process improvements and team projects which directly impact daily activities of the team.
- Manage and coach a team of GL and Sr GL Accountants, support and monitor their tasks and projects, review specific areas and take ownership over the team performance.
- Maintain a team structure which can cope with increase in organization complexity and growth, invest in development of team members and continuity, i.e. succession planning.
- Be actively involved in setting and prioritizing the roadmap for the Accounting team & drive the team to achieve its objectives.
- Contribute to recruitment for finance and accounting.
- Assess performance, provide feedback, and manage workload of the team.
- Review monthly closing reports and reconciliations in accordance with US GAAP and the SOX framework, ensure the deadlines are met for financial close activities.
- Review and perform variance analysis on balance sheet and profit and loss accounts during the closing procedures.
- Work closely with Risk & Control, Internal Audit and External Audit to ensure that the organization is compliant with the local regulations.
Please note that this list of duties is not exhaustive and you may be required to complete ad-hoc tasks as requested by your manager.
Required Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Approx 6-8 years’ experience in finance and/or accounting preferably within a multi-national company (Online Payments Accounting knowledge is beneficial)
- University (Accounting, Business, Economic) degree and/or post-graduate education (CPA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Enthusiasm to work in a fast paced, highly diverse, continuous developing and high achieving environment
- High levels of personal effectiveness, particularly communication, stakeholder & project management and the ability to focus on achieving project deadlines
- Strong experience managing teams, coaching, and providing training on the job
- Proven ability to persuade and influence in effecting changes within an organization
- Experience in working with Product, Business Intelligence/Data teams is beneficial
- Sound knowledge of US GAAP/IFRS
- Strong IT experience in financial systems, including SAP, is preferable
- Fluent in spoken and written English
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.