Principal Software Engineer – Sydney
Rokt is the global leader in ecommerce technology, helping companies seize the full potential of every transaction moment to grow revenue and acquire new customers at scale. Live Nation, AMC Theatres, PayPal, Uber, Hulu, Staples, Lands’ End, and HelloFresh are among the more than 2,500 leading global businesses and advertisers that use Rokt’s solutions to drive more value through every transaction by offering highly relevant messages to their customers at the moment they are most likely to convert.
With our December 2022 secondary transaction, Rokt’s valuation increased to $2.4 Billion. We are expanding rapidly and globally – operating in 14 countries across North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region with the largest office in Sydney and a major R&D hub in NYC. With 50% annual growth and a vibrant company culture, Rokt has been listed in ‘Great Places to Work’ in the US and Australia. Our award-winning culture is guided by our eight core values: smart with humility, own the outcomes, force for good, conquer new frontiers, enjoy the ride, raise the bar, communicate with impact, and disagree then commit. These values help us attract, engage, and develop the right talent around the globe and ensure we foster an environment that helps us all do our best work. Keen to join a fast-growing company and a vibrant culture? Learn more at rokt.com.
The Rokt engineering team builds best-in-class ecommerce technology that provides personalized and relevant experiences for customers globally and empowers marketers with sophisticated, AI-driven tooling to better understand consumers. Our bespoke platform handles millions of transactions per day and considers billions of data points which give engineers the opportunity to build technology at scale, collaborate across teams and gain exposure to a wide range of technology. We are expanding rapidly in our major R&D centres in NYC and Sydney. We are passionate about using intelligent systems to improve the transaction moment for retailers everywhere. Come join us and build the future!
As a Principal Engineer at Rokt you will be a technology thought leader across several teams. You will be the technical owner of several components of the overall Rokt product and be responsible for the delivery of features as well as driving technical excellence.
This role will give you a massive scope to have a serious impact on the technical direction and continuously raise the bar of the overall engineering function at Rokt.
Playing at a market-leading scale, you’ll have an opportunity to deep-dive into some of the most complex and innovative systems around.
In practice, you’ll have the chance to improve and build on a system that already has over 35,000 containers in production, deals with Petabytes of data, 2.5bn individual ecommerce transactions per year, the largest Kubeflow pipelines in the world, and systems that routinely deal with 10,000+ RPS, and continues to scale
All of that data that we process goes through Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms and models, all built and trained in-house, to ensure peak relevancy for consumers, and are constantly being improved upon, which results in one of the most advanced and mature Machine Learning practices in the world.
We’re currently at around 120 engineers in Sydney right now, with a view to double that number over the next few years, and expanding sites in New York, and brand-new engineering hub in Seattle, with access to some of the best engineers from around the world.
This is a truly unique opportunity to come into a business hitting its stride, offering a phenomenal mix of freedom and room for innovation and growth, with a mature and well-defined engineering culture to back it up. You’d be working on systems often more scalable and complex than the major tech players, with the freedom to make the role yours, without the red tape that often comes with those roles, and the compensation to back it up.
- Interface with EMs and Senior Managers or above and enable Senior Engineers to engage on initiatives
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope, complexity, and ambiguity
- Proactively identify and propose improvements to the current system architecture that emphasize performance, reliability and scalability
- Effectively collaborate with the global Product & Engineering leadership team on highly complex system topics, planning and resourcing topics, and architectural decisions
- Teach, grow and mentor the team, and provide advice to other domain experts, individual contributors, across several teams
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience in commercial software development experience designing, building, and operating distributed systems.
- Deep understanding of complex and scalable systems – you can design, build and maintain top level systems with a desire to work on deep and interesting technical problems.
- Polyglot engineer with commercial experience in one of the following: Golang, C#, Python, or TypeScript. You have written a lot of performant easy-to-maintain code using best practices.
- Extensive experience working with cloud-based application and architecture (Rokt’s systems are hosted in 4 separate regions over 14 markets, all on AWS).
- Strong system architecture design experience and understanding; space/time complexity, API contract design and stewardship, cloud based infrastructure (AWS/GCP).
- Learn quickly: demonstrated ability to quickly understand and absorb new information. Passion for technology and eager to dive-in to figure out how things work.
- Problem-solving skills: able to use first principles – using both qualitative and quantitative data – to solve complex problems.
- Leadership: organize and motivate engineering contributors, work with the product team to schedule in an efficient and productive manner, identify and hire exceptional people.
- Excellent communication skills in English – you can explain complex ideas to technical and non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing.
- At Rokt we encourage autonomy; teams have complete ownership of their systems including building, running and monitoring. As such, you may be required to be on-call and respond to system alerts should they arise.
- Ideas, opinions, and the ability to share them through respectful proposals, presentations, and team-wide discussions, An eagerness to work and learn in the open and share your learnings with your teammates.
- A willingness and comfort communicating remotely through chat, docs, video calls, and other collaborative online tools
Salary Range – $260,000 – $300,000+AUD per year plus equity and benefits