Senior Software Engineer – Fraud Detection – Sydney
Rokt is the global leader in ecommerce technology, helping companies seize the full potential of every transaction moment to grow revenue and acquire new customers at scale. Live Nation, AMC Theatres, PayPal, Uber, Hulu, Staples, Lands’ End, and HelloFresh are among the more than 2,500 leading global businesses and advertisers that use Rokt’s solutions to drive more value through every transaction by offering highly relevant messages to their customers at the moment they are most likely to convert.
With our December 2022 secondary transaction, Rokt’s valuation increased to $2.4 Billion. We are expanding rapidly and globally – operating in 14 countries across North America, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region with the largest office in Sydney and a major R&D hub in NYC. With 50% annual growth and a vibrant company culture, Rokt has been listed in ‘Great Places to Work’ in the US and Australia. Our award-winning culture is guided by our eight core values: smart with humility, own the outcomes, force for good, conquer new frontiers, enjoy the ride, raise the bar, communicate with impact, and disagree then commit. These values help us attract, engage, and develop the right talent around the globe and ensure we foster an environment that helps us all do our best work. Keen to join a fast-growing company and a vibrant culture? Learn more at rokt.com.
The Rokt engineering team builds best-in-class ecommerce technology that provides personalized and relevant experiences for customers globally and empowers marketers with sophisticated, AI-driven tooling to better understand consumers. Our bespoke platform handles millions of transactions per day and considers billions of data points which give engineers the opportunity to build technology at scale, collaborate across teams and gain exposure to a wide range of technology. We are expanding rapidly in our major R&D centers in NYC and Sydney. We are passionate about using intelligent systems to improve the transaction moment for retailers everywhere. Come join us and build the future!
As a Senior Engineer in the newly-created Fraud Detection team here at Rokt, you will be a technology thought leader for your team.
As this is a newly-created team here at Rokt, we’re looking for a seasoned engineer with extensive fraud detection experience to take technical direction and guide the team from a technical and strategic perspective.
Starting from scratch, the goal for this team is to build a real-time fraud detection system based on machine learning techniques to enable real-time fraud detection across our entire product offering, and you’d have a massive amount of input in the technical direction of the stack of the team.
You will be the technical owner of several components of the overall Rokt product in your vertical and be responsible for the delivery of features as well as driving technical excellence.
This role will give you a massive scope to have a serious impact on the technical direction and continuously raise the bar of the overall engineering function at Rokt.
- Help build market-leading real-time fraud detection systems at scale
- Play a key part in the technical direction of our company-wide fraud detection stack
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope, complexity, and ambiguity
- Proactively identify and propose improvements to the current system architecture that emphasize performance, reliability and scalability
- Teach, grow and mentor the team, and provide advice to other domain experts, individual contributors, across several teams
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10+ years of experience in commercial software development experience designing, building, and operating distributed systems.
- Deep understanding of complex and scalable fraud detection systems – you can design, build and maintain top level fraud detection systems with a desire to work on deep and interesting technical problems.
- Polyglot engineer with commercial experience in one of the following: Golang, C#, Python, or TypeScript. You have written a lot of performant easy-to-maintain code using best practices.
- Extensive experience working with cloud-based application and architecture (Rokt’s systems are hosted in 4 separate regions over 14 markets, all on AWS).
- Learn quickly: demonstrated ability to quickly understand and absorb new information. Passion for technology and eager to dive-in to figure out how things work.
- Problem-solving skills: able to use first principles – using both qualitative and quantitative data – to solve complex problems.
- Excellent communication skills – you can explain complex ideas to technical and non-technical audiences both verbally and in writing.
- At Rokt we encourage autonomy; teams have complete ownership of their systems including building, running and monitoring. As such, you may be required to be on-call and respond to system alerts should they arise.
- Ideas, opinions, and the ability to share them through respectful proposals, presentations, and team-wide discussions, An eagerness to work and learn in the open and share your learnings with your teammates.
- A willingness and comfort communicating remotely through chat, docs, video calls, and other collaborative online tools
- Work with the greatest talent in town. Our recruitment process is tough but diligent. We’re constantly aiming to implement our value of “raise the bar” and set high standards for our Rokt’stars. This is essential in our high-performing, high-grow culture where we strive to bring in the brightest and best talent. Our teams thrive by challenging the status quo and we encourage all of our teams to unleash their desire to achieve something bigger.
- Join a community. At Rokt we’re a community of curious explorers. We’re not afraid of venturing into uncharted territories. We work together as one single, aligned team. We value diversity and transparency which is why we support a number of internal employee resource groups including an EDI steering committee, Rainbow Rokts that empowers our LGBTQIA+ Rokt’stars, Womxn who Rokt that promotes gender equality in tech, and more.
- Accelerate your career. We want you to unleash your full potential. This is why we have an annual ‘Level Up’ allowance of $5,000 that gives Rokt’stars the ability to take courses, attend events, go to training, and more to help our great employees become even better leaders.
- Take a break. When you work hard, we know you also need to rest. We offer generous time off and parental leave policies, as well as mental health and wellness days for all employees. We even incentivize individuals to utilize their PTO with “High 5” days, an additional 5 days of PTO when you’ve used 75% of your allotted annual paid leave. We also offer a paid Rokt’star Sabbatical for employees who have been with us for 3 years or more.
- Become a shareholder. All Rokt’stars have stock options. If we succeed, everyone is rewarded.
- See the world! We want our Rokt’stars to enjoy the ride. As we aim to bring meaning and fun to our everyday work, we host global all-staff events in amazing locations (Phuket, Thailand in January 2020, Hawaii in May 2022, and Whistler in 2023). As we strive to build a community of curious explorers, we also offer generous relocation packages for those interested in moving to another Rokt office. We have bustling offices in great cities including: New York, Sydney, London, Singapore, and Tokyo.
- We believe we’re better together. We love spending time together and are in the office most days (most teams are in the office 3-4 days per week). We also get that you need to balance your life and your commitments so you have flexibility to manage your own hours and can spend up to a week of every quarter working from anywhere.
- We believe in equality. Rokt is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we know our collective strength comes from how different we all are. We encourage you to apply for one of our open roles—irrespective of socio-economic status or background, age, gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, color, pregnancy, carer/family responsibilities, national and social origin, political opinion, marital, veteran, or disability status.
Salary: $230k-$260k + benefits + equity