Senior Web Developer – HTML, CSS, Node.js (UK Remote)
When you join Turnitin, you’ll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let’s make change together.
As a member of our global web strategy team, you will be primarily responsible for delivering a world-class web experience for our customers. You will manage all aspects of developing, testing, maintaining, and optimizing brand aligned experiences across a portfolio of website properties. In addition, you will lead and execute website projects that involve a variety of cross-functional teams.
Your passion and curiosity will enable you to try new approaches to problems, architecture, workflows, as well as the code that you produce. In addition to providing technical leadership within our web strategy team, you will collaborate with a variety of internal cross-functional stakeholders as well as external vendor resources.
What you will do:
- Write readable, testable, and maintainable code that creates best-in-class brand aligned experiences (mobile & desktop) across an assigned portfolio of web properties
- Establishes the team’s best practices for analyzing user stories, articulating right-sized solutions, and project management. Ability to mentor junior web developers.
- Ensure that our web properties support Turnitin’s go-to-market strategy by translating corporate objectives into a web roadmap while collaborating with internal stakeholders including corporate marketing, regional marketing, product marketing, engineering, operations, security, alliances, legal, and sales
- Supervise the integration of our web properties with a variety of platforms including marketing automation, personalization, journey orchestration, social media, data lake, and ABM (account based marketing). Maintain existing legacy web properties.
- Lead, collaborate, and execute website projects with a variety of non-technical internal cross-functional stakeholders
Analyze & Experiment
- Continuously improve the UI/UX, functionality, speed, and scalability across our web ecosystem
- Establish the team’s best practices for performing A/B and multivariate tests to improve engagement, conversion rates, and ABM tactics
- Contribute to the analytics framework, including establishing KPIs, creating dashboards to track and analyze development sprints, user engagement, website performance and quality
- Help to create a test-and-learn team culture to understand our customer’s needs, behaviors, satisfaction, and experience gaps
- Minimum of 6 years full-stack experience building high traffic enterprise level web applications
- Back-end experience with Node.js (or similar) along with creating and consuming REST APIs
- Advanced knowledge of agile web development, architecture, Jira, Git, Gulp, CDNs, mobile performance, and martech integrations
- Debugging experience to resolve code defects. Understanding of page performance and website vitals.
- Solid understanding of CMS Best Practices and guidelines, including experience developing CMS functionality, working within decoupled and headless architectures along with encapsulated design.
- Experience with responsive design, including grid layout and mobile-first development
- Experience translating design files (Figma, Adobe Xd) into functional components
- Working knowledge of global data privacy regulations (GDPR and CCPA). Experience with accessibility standards (WCAG AA rating). Knowledge of SEO and security best practices.
- Strong communication, project management and collaboration skills with internal and external stakeholders. A team player with a customer-centric focus.
- Experience with Crownpeak / FirstSpirit CMS, Wordpress, Pardot, and Google Solutions (Analytics, Tag Manager, Search Console, Optimize, Data Studio, Keyword Planner) is a plus
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric – We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning – We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity – We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership – We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team – We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset – We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Remote First Culture
- Health Care Coverage*
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- 4 Self-Care Days per year
- National Holidays*
- 2 Founder Days + Juneteenth Observed
- Paid Volunteer Time*
- Charitable contribution match*
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursement/Home Office Equipment*
- Access to Modern Health (mental health platform)
- Parental Leave*
- Retirement Plan with match/contribution*
* varies by country
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to it programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or veterans status.